District Govenor's chain
 
The early history of the District Governor’s Chain of Office is not known with certainty.
 
It is certainly believed to have been donated by Sir Alexander Roberts, the first President of the Rotary Club of Wellington, the first Rotary Club in New Zealand. Sir Alexander received the charter from Lieutenant Colonel Raiston, President of the Rotary Club of Halifax, Canada and Commissioner to establish Rotary in Australia and New Zealand. The Charter was dated 1 May 1921.
 
Sir Alexander Roberts was District Governor, for the whole of New Zealand, in 1928–29 and presented the chain at the September District Assembly. New Zealand was progressively sub-divided until 1956 when the present District came into being with PDG Stuart Hayton as its first Governor.
 
Sir Alexander was knighted, on the recommendation of the British Government, for his work in connection with the New Zealand exhibit at the British Empire Exhibition (Wembley) in 1924. He was Managing Director of Murray Roberts & Co Ltd and Mayor of Lower Hutt from 1929–1931.